Emory Midtown Administration
W. W. Orr Building
The historic renovation and adaptive reuse of this 1930’s art deco medical office building was preserved and transformed for the Administration Offices for Emory Healthcare/Crawford Long Hospital. This 11-story, 90,000 square foot medical office building, was one of the tallest buildings in Atlanta in the 1930’s. The exterior incorporates elements from both the Art Deco and Modern periods and is constructed of cream-colored brick, limestone, granite and low relief bands of terracotta.
MSTSD, Inc. provided programming and relocated the administrative offices of the hospital on 8 floors of the building and renovated the building’s exterior and interior lobbies. The interior renovation included renovating the public areas, adding a new interior exit stair and redesigning the core to accommodate new mechanical, electrical and fire protection systems along with new restrooms. Due to the fact that the building was built before the advent of air conditioning, the building was designed with low floor-to-floor heights, thus the design of the HVAC system was crucial in maintaining adequate ceiling space in the usable floor areas. The window replacement required a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Urban Design Commission to ensure they were substantially in character with the original windows and Art Deco style of the building.
Medical Office Building Historic
Real Estate Corporation